Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Make With The Funny








Lately I've been trying to push my drawings even further in terms of construction, shapes, proportions, expressions etc. Obviously, it's clear from my previous posts that I like drawing characters that are silly/retarded/mentally unstable or just plain weird and I'm always trying to find ways to come up with new character designs/illustrations that formulate some new approach to all of the latter.

Much of this recent output has been the result of pouring over the amazing art of Don Martin, my favorite Mad artist when I was a kid. His stuff is so dynamic and silly, and although he has a definite style and his characters look very similar, especially their faces, all of his comics and illustrations are so outrageous and fun to look at they seem brand new each time. I have been amazed at how much his style has influenced me, especially since I really haven't looked at his stuff in years. Here are some samples:



The drawings of mine I've added to the post are a few from my most recent batch of sketches that I felt compelled to ink just because they seemed interesting to me. Although most of them don't really break out of my "go-to" shape combinations, I felt there was something vaugely appealing about each to be inked.

Anyhow, I'm not really sure where I'm going with this other than I think it's interesting to talk about how people approach character designs and illustration in general---what their influences are, what the thought-process is, etc. I'm always fascinated to learn how other cartoonists, animators, illustrators, what-not, pull themselves out of a rut or how they approach problem-solving in their work.

Anyone want to comment?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There's something really appealing about the characters that you posted here and they are inked very nicely. Though I see what you are saying in regards to trying to push yourself, because what I see here seems to be a bit of a repetition of the shapes you are comfortable with using. I've noticed that you seem to re-use the same types of chubby arms and knobby elbows, and the hands and fingers are always splayed out in a wonky fashion. This works for you and it's a recognizable style, but it also shows that maybe you've become a bit too comfortable with that way of drawing. Perhaps a good way to change your habits in this respect would be to tackle different subject matter. I think you've got silly and retarded down pretty well.

Scott Brothers said...

Yeah, that's a good point. I usually get to place in a batch of sketches where I do break-out drawings and that's where things usually get interesting. The one where the girl is holding the guy was one of those. Originally it was an angry guy holding the dumb dude. Then I decided to change it to a girl and all of sudden it became interesting. Yes, some of the same shapes are still there, but it seems to be telling a story, which is what intrigued me. So, yes, that's a great point that subject matter is a good idea way of breaking habits. So how do you go about breaking yourself out of a rut, in terms of "I keep drawing the same shapes or the same types of people"?

Nelson Brown said...

I've been in a rut lately too that I've been mentioning to a few a people. I have the tendency to draw a lot of really graphic and exaggerated anatomy. A lot of this is because I'm pretty shaky when it comes to real anatomy. So, I've been forcing myself to study anatomy and make drawings of real muscles, bones, etc., even if they turn out bad. I think part of getting out of a rut and experimenting is being willing to make a bad drawing. I think we stay in styles we're comfortable with because we know we're good at them. Like these that you've posted are well done and successful in your style. Maybe just push through a few drawings that are totally different, even if you end up hating them. You may be able to take something from them and bring it into your style.

Scott Brothers said...

Yes, I agree that it's about going outside of your comfort zone. Yeah I might try something totally different, or at least take a different approach.